I have a confession to make as a plant mom: some of my plants are fake. Hear me out, while I definitely prefer real plants (hello clean air), there are just some spots in the house that don’t get enough natural light and this is where the fake plants go. I also have a black thumb when it comes to certain varieties of plants (I’m talking to you succulents) and have had to switch to fake versions of these out of necessity and desperation.
Fake plants have come a long way in looking real in terms of variety, color and texture so whether you’re a serial plant killer, a commitment phobe or just lacking in natural light like myself, going the faux route is a great option for keeping your home looking fresh and green year round. Here are 8 very real spots to shop for fake plants that suit every budget.
Faux Tillandsia Succulent | Afloral |
Artificial Philodendron Potted plant | Ikea |
Artificial Potted Palm Plant | Structube |
Strelitzia Leaf Faux Plant | Urban Outfitters |
Kentia Tree in Planter | AllModern |
Artificial Desktop Succulent Plant | Wayfair |
Faux Snake Plant in Pot | Joss & Main |
Potted Artifical Prickly Pear Cactus | CB2 |
A word of advice about making your fake plants look as real as possible: how you style them is important.
- Ditch the generic pot in favor of a more stylish option.
- Consider adding sand, dirt or rocks to the pot to mimic how they are naturally planted.
- Keep silk plants out of direct sunlight so that they don’t fade.
- Wipe down all your fake plants to keep the dust away.
- Mix your fake plants in with real plants and in spots where they could grow if they were real.
Now get out there and fake it!